Pizza, with mushroom for the crust!
- 1 lb. puffballs, sliced 1/2" thick
- 1/4 C. olive oil
- 2 oz. pancetta (bacon), chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 1/4 C. water
- 1 T. chopped fresh rosemary or 1 1/2 t. dried
- 1/8 t. dried crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella
- Heat 2 T. garlic oil in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add pancetta and saute 2 minutes. Add onion and and and garlic, saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add rosemary and red pepper and saute 1 minute. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is thick, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cool.
- Preheat a grill to hot. Brush oil on sides of the mushroom slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Grill 2-3 minutes per side until marked and soft.
- Place broiler rack 3" from heat and preheat to hot. Place grilled puffball slices on broiler pan, spread sauce, and top with cheese. Broil until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Any of the larger puffballs - Calbovista subsculpta, Calvatia gigantea, C. booniana or C. sculpta - will work for this recipe. Depending on the size of the puffballs, you can make family, individual, or appetizer pizzas.