German Sausage, Mushroom & Onion Pizza
At a glance
- 4 T. vegetable oil
- 3 T. flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 C. dark German beer
- 2 T. strong whole grain German mustard
- 1 lb. mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb. fresh pizza dough
- 12 oz. grated Swiss cheese
- 8 oz. fresh raw (chicken) Bratwurst
- Heat 2 T. oil over medium low heat in a small saucepan. Add flour, salt & pepper and stir until thoroughly mixed. Simmer 3-4 minutes without browning, whisking frequently.
- Very slowly whisk in beer (will foam up), then the mustard. Cook 5 minutes or until thickened, whisking frequently. Set aside to cool. Will thicken upon standing.
- Saute onions with remaining oil over medium heat until browned. Add mushrooms and cook until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Roll out dough to 16".
- Spread beer/mustard sauce almost to the rim.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly.
- Top with mushroom/onion mix, then dollops of sausage.
- Bake on pizza screen for 20-25 minutes or until bubbling. Run under broiler 1-2 minutes to brown a bit more.
- Remove from oven and let sit a few minutes to firm up.
You can adjust to use a pizza stone, grill slowly or any other technique you like. Any firm meaty mushroom will work.